Hello, reader In this article we will study the difference between Forging and Casting [Notes and PDF] In detail.
First we will study definition of Forging and Casting Process.
What is Forging?
- Forging is a Mechanical process in which we heat the metals to optimum temperature and after that applying external force onto it to get the required shaper and size.
- Some operations are performed through machines and some are by manual.
- The forged material has high strength compared to casting process material.
What is Casting?
- Casting is a process in which molten metals are poured into the die or mold and leave it for cooling to get harden shape.
- In the Casting process, the prototypes are already made. Just we have to pour the molten metal into the required empty space for making the new required component.
- It is similar to forging but there is a difference which will study below.
Difference between Forging and Casting:
|1.||A forging components response is better when performing a heat-treatment process.||Casting response is non-uniform Heat treatment.|
|2.||It refines the grain structure of the casted ingots.||It does not have neither strength nor grain flow.|
|3.||In this, the production rate is higher because machine utility is more.||The production rate is low in casting as compared to forging.|
|4.||The forged parts are less costly and it is reliable.||The casted parts are more costly comparatively.|
|5.||The forged parts are free from porosity and die holes. But||Casting always suffers from porosity.|
|6.||In forging, the forged parts are having great strength.||Casting does not have strength comparatively as much as have forged.|
|7.||The process can be automatic.||The casting process are a semi-automatic process.|
|8.||The complex parts are not easy.||Complex parts are easier for casting.|
|9.||The performance rate is high.||Low-performance rate.|
|10.||Forging does not work above the material melting temperature.||It works above melting temperature.|
Related Article:UP Milling vs Down Milling
Laser Beam Machining
Abrasive Jet Machining
Thermoplastic vs Thermosetting plastic
So This is a small presentation on the Difference between forging and Casting. Let me know what another topic I can help you with? Till then Thank you. Do not forget to share on Social Media.
Discussion about this post